Monday, March 23, 2009

Example of complex report

How Do I ... Create some complicated data groups and build a recap?

I recently had to create a very complicated report for a client that covers several different techniques. I thought it would be good to share this modified sample with everyone.

At first, the report sounded simple (don't they all!) Create a list of orders, sorted and subtotaled by customer and each customer should start on a new page. That's easy, I can handle that. Put the orders in the detail band. Create a data group on the Customer and mark it to start on a new page. Put subtotals for the customer in the Data Group Footer band.

Oh .. the client says .. the list of orders per customer can get quite long. Can we have ledger-style shading or a line every so many lines? Sure, I think I can handle this. Oh ... the client says again ... we'd also like subtotals at the bottom of each page showing the totals of just that page. That should be easy .. I can use the page footer band. Oh wait .. as I think that through some more, it's not going to work because on the last page for the customer, the data group footer band would print and then the page footer would show up at the bottom. That's not cool. Hmm ... these two requirements combined make things a little sticky .. but I'm sure I can come up with the answer.

Then comes the killer requirement .. Remember those page subtotals we want at the bottom of each page .. well .. at the end of the customer we'd also like a recap that shows each one of those subtotals like the following:

Page 1, $999.99
Page 2, $999.99
Page 3, $999.99

Yuk .. I really don't like that one especially combined with the ledger-style and page subtotals. Now I'm really going to have to put some thought into this report. I think my head is spinning!

.....................
Read full writing at:
http://cathypountney.blogspot.com/2008/01/
how-do-i-create-some-complicated-data.html

No comments:

Post a Comment